5 Foods to Fortify Your Teeth
Teeth are first to interact with the foods we eat. Therefore, we must consider our oral health when choosing the best diet.
Some options are better for teeth and gums than others. Different foods provide teeth-strengthening minerals, while others increase saliva production that helps remove food particles stuck on or in-between teeth as you chew.
Foods that Strengthen Teeth
- Water: Many communities provide fluoridated water to residents in the local area for added protection against dental caries. Drinking treated tap water can also strengthen teeth and wash away leftover food particles and bacteria between teeth.
- Citrus Fruits: Eating fruits rich in vitamin C like oranges, tangerines, and grapefruits will help strengthen gums. In the days of yore, crews on sailing ships would ingest foods with high concentrations of vitamin C to ward off scurvy. Two main symptoms of the health condition are gum disease and tooth loss.
- Sugar-Free Gum: Chewing sugarless gum encourages saliva production and helps remove plaque buildup from teeth enamel.
- Dairy Products: Milk, plain yogurt, and cheese are packed with calcium and other minerals that help promote strong teeth.
- Black and Green Tea: Both teas contain powerful polyphenols, that may lower the risk of cavities by keeping oral bacteria from sticking to teeth.
When you consider the best foods with teeth strengthening benefits, don’t forget that many other choices are bad for oral health. Some items like junk foods, sugary or sticky treats, and highly-acidic foods can cause damage to teeth in a variety of ways, primarily by fueling decay-causing bacteria and mouth acids.
Discuss any concerns or questions about diet, nutrition and or how it all relates to your oral health, with Katy Dental Experts. Contact us today!